The RU came up from the interaction between the former Textile and Paper Materials unit (MTP) and other research groups, from UBI and 4 Polytechnic Institutes (Beja, Bragança, Castelo Branco and Guarda), which allows sharing resources, namely equipments and human resources, for the development of R&D projects of mutual interest.
The RU comprises 3 different groups: Fiber Materials-Chemistry, Fiber Materials-Physics and Environmental Technologies, that work in both specific and common activities.
Innovative research is being developed on the following topics:
- biomass for chemicals, energy and materials
- functionalization of paper materials
- development of biomaterials by electrospinning of nanofibres
- embedded electronic sensors in smart fabrics and clothing
- engineered construction of fabrics and clothing
- functionalization of textile materials for biomedical applications
- co-design and modular design
- photoelectrocatalytic materials
- water and wastewater treatment technologies, including advanced oxidation processes and constructed wetlands
- waste recovery and water reuse
The research projects of the FibEnTech unit are important for the up-grade and innovation of the textile, clothing and paper industries, as well as for water and wastewater management.
Scientific Coordinator: Manuel José dos Santos Silva
Rua Marquês d’Ávila e Bolama
Phone +351 275 329 717
Book of Proceedings - Atas - I SIMPÓSIO FibEnTch -2016