You need to activate javascript for this site.
Menu Conteúdo Rodapé
  1. Home
  2. Courses
  3. Cinema
  4. Image Theory

Image Theory

Code 13585
Year 1
Semester S2
ECTS Credits 6
Workload OT(15H)/TP(45H)
Scientific area Communication Sciences
Entry requirements Not applicable.
Mode of delivery Theoretical-practical
Work placements Not applicable.
Learning outcomes 1) Be able to apply abstract notions -- such as 'imago', 'eikôn', 'eidôlon', symbol, 'ius imaginum', 'repraesentatio', and "mimèsis" -- in different situations. 2) Be able to make substantiated judgments about historical and cultural processes. For example, the relation between the origin of images in the past and the awareness of death; the concealment of the image by "realm of visual" (R.Debray, H.Belting), and so forth; 3) To be able to explain, in general, the relative value that the images assume in the pagan, Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religions. 4) To be able to explain and justify notions such as iconoclasm, idolatry, 'iconodoulia', and ‘representatio’. 5) Be able to identify, comment on, explain and critique, from texts, theoretical models of appreciation to images: for example, the mimetic model of ontological degradation; 7) Recognize and explain the type of "ontology of the image" present in contemporary texts, works, movements, and authors.
Syllabus INTRODUCTION: presentation: teacher, students, program, work materials, methodology, and evaluation. On the designation Theory of Image.
1. IMAGE, DEATH AND DOUBLE. The mythical and ancestral desire to figure. The 'immortalizing' power of images.
2. THE PARADIGM OF MIMETIC DEGRADATION (PLATON). The imaginal mimêsis as ontological degradation of Idea (eîdos/idéa). The Allegory of the Cave and the myth of the "three beds".
3. FROM THE PROHIBITION OF THE IMAGES TO THE "SYMBOLIC ANIMAL". The "idolatrous" desire to see and touch in contrast with the religious prohibition: "You will not make images!" The problematic relationship between images, power, and humor. Reductionist Hermeneutics and the new "ontology of the image".
4. FROM THE 'CLOSED WORK' - R. Barthes: the photograph 'this was" - TO THE 'OPEN WORK': U. Eco, Th. Nail, and H.-G. Gadamer: pictures as «increase of being».
CONCLUSION. Hyperreality and deep-fake.
Main Bibliography BARTHES Roland, A Câmara Clara, Edições 70, Lx., 2006
BAUDRILLARD Jean, Simulacros e Simulação, Lx., Relógio D'Água, 1991
BELTING Hans, A Verdadeira Imagem, Porto, Edição Dafne Editora, 2011.
CASSIRER Ernst, Ensaio sobre o Homem, Lx., Guimarães Ed., 1995.
DEBRAY Régis, Vie et mort de l’image, Gallimard, Paris, 1992
DURAND Gilbert, A Imaginação Simbólica, Lx., Ed.70, 1995
ECO Umberto, Obra Aberta, Lisboa, Difel, 1989.
GADAMER Hans-Georg, Verdad y metodo I., Sígueme, 1993;
GARCIA FERNANDEZ E., Historia general de la imagen, Madrid, 2000.
MARTINE Joly, A imagem e a sua interpretação, Ed.70, Lisboa, 2002.
MIRZOEFF Nicholas, The Visual Culture Reader, Routledge, London / New York, 2002.
NAIL Thomas, Theory of the Image, Oxford University Press, New York, 2019.
PLATÃO, A República, Lisboa, FCG, 1987 (Livros VI, VII e X).
VILLAFAÑE Justo, Introducción a la teoría de la imagen, Madrid, Pirámide, 1992.
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria 1) For the students of the 1st cycles of DMM and CCC, the assessment will be made through two Tests: the first, on April 5th 2022, will be worth 40%; and the second, global, on June 7th, will be worth 50%. The other 10% will be considered according to the completion of other required tasks, the active participation, the pertinent oral interventions, (> 70% of attendance required), all according to the global direct observation method (OGD); 2) For the 2nd cycle of Cinema students, the assessment will be made through a written, individual and original research work (up to 10 pages), in the context of the master's degree. The work should be handed in, in paper, until the 17th June, and will be the object of a presentation, oral discussion and defense, in the week of the 20th to the 24th June (50% written; 40% oral = 90%). The other 10% will be weighted according to the completion of other tasks.

Language Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.
Last updated on: 2022-03-07

The cookies used in this website do not collect personal information that helps to identify you. By continuing you agree to the cookie policy.