Profile of the programme
Located in a border region, the University of Beira Interior has taken a clear Iberian vocation, embodied in academic and scientific projects developed with other national and foreign universities. Thus, this work for peninsularity, as well as the need for specialists on the two languages resulted in the establishment of a degree in Portuguese and Spanish Studies. The course is intended for all students wishing to have a degree in Portuguese and Spanish and allows the continuation of studies in a second cycle through education or research, a challenge that University is able to respond to through the 2nd cycle courses it offers. In addition to theoretical and practical lessons, students can deepen their knowledge of Portuguese and Spanish language, literature and culture by attending the language laboratory, or by its participation in the several initiatives of the Department of Arts, such as Seminars, meetings or workshops, besides the exchange provided by the Erasmus program.
Key learning outcomes
At the end of the course students should be able to:
a) Master the four skills on their mother tongue and on a foreign language (listening, speaking, reading and writing);
b) Demonstrate a thorough and contrastive knowledge of the languages, literatures and cultures involved;
c) Develop studies and work in the Portuguese and Spanish languages;
d) Develop written and oral versions of one language into the other;
e) Demonstrate a critical, creative and reflective approach to the linguistic, literary and cultural reality;
f) Use both languages correctly, with creativity and adapting them to different communication contexts;
g) Autonomously perform tasks related to teaching, research, translation and other socio-cultural activities involving the mastery of the two languages.
Occupational profiles of graduates
1. Research in the areas of Portuguese and Spanish Studies;
2. Teaching Portuguese and Spanish, being mandatory the completion of the second cycle of teaching in the same area;
3. Translation at the level of publishing, film and business;
5. Promotion and cultural enhancement;
6. International Relations;
7. Technical staff of public or private national and spanish institutions, or multinationals operating in Europe or Latin America.
- Central Library of the University of Beira Interior;
- Libraries and Digital Magazines: BOAL (www.boal.ubi.pt) BOCC (www.bocc.ubi.pt); LUSOSOFIA (www.lusosofia.net); UBITHESIS (ubithesis.ubi.pt); UBILETRAS (www.ubiletras.ubi.pt);
- Classrooms equipped with boards and video projectors and new technologies;
- Secretary of the Department of Arts and Teacher’s Offices;
- Languages Laboratory - where Spanish language classes take place and free courses on several languages (from English to Mandarin), using the latest technology;
- Moodle Digital platform – a tool that allows the interaction at a distance between teachers and students and the availability of materials;
- Other support structures: Office of Internships; Wool Museum, European Documentation Centre, CREA; LabCom: Online Laboratory of Communication Sciences;, Graphics and Publications Services;
- Structures for social support: canteens, housing, clinical services and spaces for the practice of sports.