Profile of the programme
• Revisit, consolidate and enhance knowledge on the different mathematical topics present in the current mathematics curricula of secondary education, focusing not only on its theory, but also history, applications and interconnection with other areas of knowledge
• Convey the essence and vitality of mathematics as an area of research and establish links between this part and the teaching of mathematics
• Encourage the creation of new educational resources for teaching mathematics secondary schools. These resources can be materialized, for example, in divulgation articles, materials for the classroom, brochures to support the teacher or the development of multimedia applications
• Contribute to the professional development of teachers of the recruitment group 500 of secondary education, according to the provisions of the Teaching Career Statute.
Key learning outcomes
The master degree will be awarded to students who prove:
• knowledge about the theory, history, applications and interconnections with other areas of knowledge of the mathematics topics addressed throughout the curriculum
• ability to integrate this knowledge in the develop of educational resources for teaching mathematics in secondary schools
• ability to communicate their findings, knowledge and reasoning underlying them, in a clear and unambiguous way, through the writing and oral presentation of a dissertation
• skills to acquire, integrate and communicate knowledge in a self-contained and self-oriented way.
Occupational profiles of graduates
This 2nd cycle intends to contribute to the professional development of mathematic teachers of secondary school
• Classrooms and lecture halls equipped with audio-visual capabilities, a didactical instruments room and specially designated areas for tutorial teaching, self-study and group assignments.
• Up-to-date computer labs.
• Main Library.
• Teaching and Learning Resources Center.
• Email account, personal disk space, web-page hosting, wireless connectivity, e-learning platform, printing, VPN access, software assistance, among others.
• Resource Center for Teaching and Learning.
• Services provided by CIUBI: account access, electronic mail, personal area, hosting web pages, wireless, e-learning platform, printing, VPN access, software solutions, management areas, among others.