Profile of the programme
Satisfying an area of professional activity, relating the fashion design, needy in Portugal and in Europe, due to the growth of fashion retailing business
Teaching and learning of a multidisciplinary nature, involving scientific areas of fashion design, materials, textile science and technology and social sciences and humanities, encouraging the critic thought, critical analysis, oral and written communication.
Integrating the skills of the course institution, (laboratories, ateliers and Museum of Wool) , maximizing synergies and results of training, improving the professionalism in the field of fashion
Develop a multidisciplinary research area, encouraging the researcher spirit, either in the dissertation, or creating appetite for PhD studies
Seizing the opportunity of the students can study near the textile and apparel industries
Key learning outcomes
The Masters in Fashion Design will acquire skills and training to become leaders of teams of experts in conception and product design of textile products and clothing and:
1) Be able to interpret market trends, cultural phenomena and behaviours in order to establish relations between the rational and emotional processes in order to improve the activities of the designer
2) Capable of applying the knowledge in presenting solutions for fashion design before specific and complex proposals of clients, in a multidisciplinary context and depending on the materials and technologies available, being explained their decisions.
3) Able to carry out research or studies used to support knowledge to develop design solutions for complex and innovative design, particularly in developing collections for very demanding markets or in the design of fabrics, knitwear or clothing of high technology at the level of materials and functionality
4) With the skills to communicate in a clear manner the conclusions of the investigation or reasoning about design projects, either to the team members or to clients, and also to the general public
5) With skills for lifelong learning independently, in particular to pursue doctoral studies, acquiring skills that allow them to reach career levels of research and teaching in higher education. The creative and artistic and technological innovation developed by students throughout the course will enable graduates to lead projects of conception of fabrics, knitwear, prints or clothing so as to make them attractive and/or functional, that means, comfortable in its close relationship with the man and/or capable of responding to high-level functional requirements
Occupational profiles of graduates
Specialists in fashion design qualified by this master degree will be able to develop their activities integrated in comercial and industrial companies, in design ateliers, consulting companies or they can work even as free-lancers
The Job will take place in textile companies (fabric and knitwear production), clothing production companies or new and modern clothing distribution companies
The master and specialization degrees in fashion design has all the support structures that cover the whole textile production process, from design and project to prototypes of fashion products: spinning workshop, non-woven, fabric and knitwear weaving, finishing, digital printing and clothing production.
In Cad Atelier and Laboratory is available a large amount of software that helps students in fashion products design, pattern making and specific bibliography to fashion trends consulting (WGSN).
The workshops and ateliers are open for 24 hours a day, promoting students participation in national and international fashion contests.
Students have also in the Universidade da Beira Interior : 1) Wool Museum, wool interpretation center with 35.000 informatically treated fabric samples; 2) Central Library open from 9 am to 11 pm; 3) Computer center, open 24 hours, with internet.