Profile of the programme
This programme allows the acquisition of skills in Electrical Engineering, with specialization in Automation and Electronics and Bionic Systems, promoting the application of knowledge and of the acquired interpretation and understanding capacity in solving problems and designing products, equipment and systems, with technological, economic, social and environmental constraints
It gives to graduates strong scientific and technological training, in order to ensure the professional activity and adaptation to changing technology, and extended in multidisciplinary contexts. Also, it stimulates the ability to handle with complex issues and to develop solutions in situations of limited or incomplete information and to change principles, methods and techniques of execution, with leadership and decision skills, to manage people, processes, equipment and goods. The ability for research, innovation and entrepreneurship is stimulated, in order to integrate scientific research teams
Key learning outcomes
After the master programme the student should be able to:
- Dominate the practice of Electrical Engineering
- Evaluate and solve problems within the Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Design and adapt complex electrical, electronic and computer systems
- Propose solutions to improve the performance of systems and components through the application of analytical methods and computational methods.
- Apply the acquired knowledge in scientific fields of Electrical and Electronics, Instrumentation, Automation and Control, Computer Science, Economics and Management and Bionic Systems, to the resolution of engineering problems
- Use several computer tools and develop computer applications in their specialization area
- Properly use laboratory equipments, interpret experimental methods and protocols, knowing how to present and interpret experimental results
- Participate in research projects and propose technological development and innovation of new equipment and techniques
- Organize the scientific and technical information for submission to regulatory authorities, in order to obtain certification of new products for commercialization
- Demonstrate critical thinking and ethical commitment
- Read and understand scientific papers in Portuguese and English and communicate orally to audiences of specialists and non-experts in the field of Electrical Engineering.
- Disseminate scientific knowledge and promote the knowledge transfer between universities and industry
- Learn and work with high degree of autonomy
- Establish relationships and work in a multidisciplinary team
- Show responsibility at work and respect for peers in multidisciplinary teams
- Take initiative and be able to make decisions
- Be creative and capable to self adapt to new situations and problems, recognizing his limitations, giving particular attention to self-learning of new knowledge based on scientific evidence
- Organize and plan tasks
- Be a leader and have entrepreneurial spirit
- Develop the learning skills necessary to integrate 3rd cycle studies in national and international educational institutions
Occupational profiles of graduates
The advanced and specialized training in Electrical and Computer Engineering will allow the holders of the Master Degree to prestigiously perform tasks and to take responsibilities in several areas of the economy, with excellent future prospective. They will have the necessary skills to integrate multidisciplinary teams specialized in project design, certification, maintenance and business support for new equipment and technologies. They may also develop scientific research in multidisciplinary areas, acting in the areas of Electrical and Electronics, Automation and Systems, Bionic Systems, etc
Positions held by former students of this course may be taken as examples: Examples are the positions held by former students of this course are: Engineers, Product Development Directors, Maintenance Directors, Technical Specialists, Technical Trainers, Inspectors / Certifiers, University Professors, Researchers, etc.
The Electrical and Computer Engineering programme is taught in the Department of Electromechanical Engineering. In this department, there are excellently equipped laboratories covering the Electrotechnics, Electrical Machines and Power Electronics, Instrumentation and Measurement, Telecommunications, Automation and Robotics areas, in addition to classrooms and many amphitheaters. Because of the collaboration of the Physics, Informatics and Medical Sciences Departments, responsible for teaching some subjects, the course has also available other laboratories (Physiology, Chemistry, Networks and Multimedia). In addition, several research laboratories are available to work development.
Further, Library facilities have to be pointed out, with computers, more than 80,000 books and also the Computer Center.
Finally, students are socially supported with Canteens, Snacks, Sports halls and dormitories with over 800 beds, among others.