Profile of the programme
1. To develop profound analytical competences regarding social exclusion, transformations in social organization and the reorientation of social policy
2. To create the conditions for a broader theoretical discussion about the issue of «exclusions»
3. To deepen the theoretical and empirical discussion about the processes of conversion of passive public policy into active policy;
4. To develop analytical and practical competences regarding the processes of project planning and intervention;
5. To enhance the capacity of application of knowledge for new problems and contexts, in an academic, professional and multidisciplinary perspective;
6. To deepen competences of autonomous handling of research in the area of specialization, instigated by theoretical goals or aims for the resolution of practical problems.
7. To encourage opportunities for further research of the issues at stake, in an academic or professional context
Key learning outcomes
Understand, critically analyse and use the main theoretical and conceptual content associated to the sociological analysis of social policies and exclusions;
Mastering core content aggregated to the subareas that compose the curricular structure;
Identify methodological and technical tools necessary to the application of theoretical knowledge in practical contexts, whether it concerns applied research or the implementation of intervention projects;
Elaborate analysis of theoretical, methodological and empirical consistency in the scientific domain of the course;
Develop critical evaluation abilities on the effects of programmatic options on the reality subject of intervention
Demonstrate analytical and practical skills in the domain of project planning and implementation;
Ability to apply acquired knowledge to new problems and contexts in an academic, professional and multidisciplinary perspective;
Demonstrate competence and autonomy in conducting research in the specialization field guided either by theoretical or problems solving purposes
Show ability to problematize social issues and defend with logical, theoretical and empirical consistency arguments and propositions;
Prove proficiency in written and oral communication and in the use of supporting technologies;
Demonstrate skills of design, organization and execution of theoretical and empirical assignments and development of autonomous learning activities;
Reveal autonomy in the problematization of research questions, in selecting and treating sources of information and in choosing theories, methodologies and technics to be used in research process;
Demonstrate proficiency in the organization, writing, presentation and defence of the master thesis.
Occupational profiles of graduates
-State organism technicians and those in charge of non-profitable organizations (private institutions of social solidarity, and other third sector organisms)
- Social intervention and setting / conducting of social policies at a local, regional or national level
- Research at research centers and other entities dedicated to the poverty and social exclusion analysis and / or the definition of political strategies in the area of social intervention
- Senior executives of the social integration income
- Senior executives at local and regional governments, able to define or to implement strategies to fight poverty and social exclusion
1-Library: the Central Library and the Library of the Social and Human Sciences Unit and a European Documentation Centre.
2-Online Resources available: Databases; electronic magazines, namely of Oxford University Press, Elsevier, Taylor & Francis, Springer, ISI Proceedings; links for several investigation areas; other electronic resources
3-Computer Science Centres: the unit that hosts the course has a computer science laboratory, classrooms and other spaces equipped with terminals and PC’s with internal lam connection and connected to the web network. All the university poles have wireless network.
4.e-Conteúdos: UBI has a digital platform, e-Conteúdos, which is a tool that allows online interaction of teachers-students and students-students and where all the didactic materials to support CU’s, discussion forums and other activities are provided.