Profile of the programme
This programme allows the acquisition of core competencies that define a bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering. It provides solid foundations and skills appropriate to the prosecution to a master degree in Electrical Engineering or in related areas, and simultaneously gives to graduates strong scientific and technological training, with a bandwidth profile, in order to ensure professional activities in: technical functions in industry, scientific and innovation functions in both industry and academy and technical functions in services. The bachelors will be able to design and adapt electronic and computer systems and work in the following areas: design and production of small equipment with electrical components; production, operation and maintenance of systems software; design and development of industrial products with electrical, automation, control, energy, telecommunications and computer systems applications; participation in applied research and industrial development.
Key learning outcomes
After the bachelor programme, the student should be able to:
- Apply the acquired knowledge in scientific fields of Physics and Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Electronics, Instrumentation, Automation and Control, Management and Economics to the resolution of engineering problems
- Understand and apply the fundamentals of electrical circuit analysis, electronics and digital systems, electrotechnics, instrumentation, control, signal processing, electrical machines, telecommunications systems, power systems and computer sciences
- Use several computer tools and develop computer applications in their specialization area
- Properly use laboratory equipments
- Interpret experimental methods and protocols, knowing how to present and interpret experimental results
- Design and adapt complex electrical, electronic and computer systems
- Analyze, identify, classify and describe the performance of systems and components through the application of both analytical and computational methods
- Dominate the practice of Electrical Engineering
- Develop skills for participation in applied research and innovation
- Demonstrate critical thinking and ethical commitment
- Read and understand scientific papers in Portuguese and English
- Communicate orally, in English, for audiences with specialists and non-experts in the field of Electrical Engineering
- Learn and work with high degree of autonomy
- Establish relationships and work in a multidisciplinary team
- Show responsibility at work and respect for peers in multidisciplinary teams
- Take initiative and be able to make decisions
- Be creative and capable to self adapt to new situations and problems
- Organize and plan tasks
- Be a leader and have entrepreneurial spirit
- Develop the learning skills necessary for further study
Occupational profiles of graduates
The bachelors in Electrical and Computer Engineering have excellent future performance perspectives in the development of diversified functions of high prestige and responsibility, in both the Corporate and Academy, national or international
They are able to work in industry and services, particularly in companies that bet on the research, development and innovation, performing functions in the area of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electrical Drives, Automation, Controls and Robotics and functions in laboratories and research institutes
Even more, they can integrate multidisciplinary teams and they are specialized in the design and development of new equipment and participants in the process of certification of electrical and electronic equipment, providing technical assistance and marketing support, undertaking the maintenance of small equipment and providing support to scientific research in their training and specialization areas
The Electrical and Computer Engineering programme is taught in the Department of Electromechanical Engineering, fully occupying the building 1, and various laboratory in the Building 2, both in the Engineering Faculty facilities.
In this department there are excellently equipped laboratories covering the Electrotechnics, Electrical Machines and Power Electronics, Instrumentation and Measurement, Telecommunications, Automation and Robotics, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, in addition to classrooms and many amphitheaters. Because of the collaboration of the Physics Department, responsible for teaching some subjects, the course has also available the laboratories of Electromagnetism, Optics and Mechanics, Digital Systems and Electronics.
Further, Library facilities have to be pointed out, with computers, more than 80,000 books and also the Computer Center.
Finally, students are socially supported with Canteens, Snacks, Sports halls and dormitories with over 800 beds, among others