The mission of the University of Beira Interior is to "Promote high-level qualification, production, transmission, critique and dissemination of knowledge, culture, science and technology, through study, teaching and research".
The UBI shall define itself as an alive and vibrant community, recognized for the quality of its performance in teaching, research and knowledge transfer, and with a strong commitment to the region.
We aim at a University:
- recognized for solidity and quality of teaching and research, whose graduates, masters and doctors may affirm themselves nationally and internationally for the quality of their training;
- that does not turn inwards, indifferent to society and to the surrounding world;
- that plays a crucial role in the social and economic development of the region and of the country; a University that is able to promote and nurture technology-based companies, advanced services, which is a pole of innovation capable of transforming Beira Interior in a region of great human and technological potential; a University that creates partnerships with other regional bodies and that can be a space for networking among them;
- guided by principles of waste combat and maintained by the efficient management of its resources and processes.
The UBI performance is guided by a set of academic and human values that define its identity and promote its collective efficiency:
- to provide a creativity and innovation environment, by creating space for change and adaptation;
- teaching and research must be characterized by intellectual and moral independence.
- to promote global awareness that values tolerance, mutual respect and difference, by promoting discussion and respect for different views;
- to pursue the highest teaching and research standards, on the basis of a management model oriented to a total quality culture and merit appreciation.
- to promote the collective consciousness of social welfare commitment in its different dimensions (social, environmental, cultural);
Learning for life
- to promote the pursuit of knowledge as a way to improve social welfare and strengthen the understanding of the individual, going beyond geographical boundaries;
- recognizing the need to make choices that promote the effectiveness of the objectives and the efficiency in the sustainable management of resources.