The General Council is composed of 29 members, with the following distribution:
- 15 teachers and researchers representatives from all faculties;
- 5 representatives of students;
- 8 external personalities;
- 1 representative of the non-teaching staff and non-researchers.
The members referred to in points a) and b) of the preceding paragraph are elected, respectively, by professors and researchers and by the students of the University, through the system of proportional representation.
The members referred to in point c) of paragraph 1) are co-opted by the members referred to in a), b) and d) of the same paragraph, by absolute majority, based on reasoned proposals subscribed by at least one third of those members.
The representative of the non-teaching staff and non-researcher will be elected by employees, by an absolute majority. A second round will be made between the top two candidates in the first round, if in the first round the top voted candidate does not get more than 50% of the votes cast.
The functions of member of the General Council are incompatible with those of a member of the Senate, of the Management Board, Vice Rector, Student Ombudsman and student worker with an employment relationship with UBI, in student quality.
Composition of the General Council
- Hugo Daniel Alves Martins de Carvalho
TEACHING STAFF AND RESEARCHERSAna Paula Coelho Duarte
- Ana Paula Coelho Duarte
- Maria Petronila Jorge Frade Rocha Pereira
- Luiza Augusta Tereza Gil Breitenfeld Granadeiro
- Cândida Ascensão Teixeira Tomaz
- Olga Maria Marques Lourenço
- Luís José Maia Amoreira
- António Manuel Neves Vicente
- Maria do Rosário Alves Calado
- Isabel Maria Romano da Cunha
- Cristina Maria da Costa Vieira
- Manuel Joaquim da Silva Loureiro
- Bruno Daniel Ferreira da Costa
- Manuel Lourenço Nunes
- Bertha Maria Batista dos Santos
- Mário Júlio Pereira Bessa da Costa
- Nádia Alexandra Gomes de Oliveira
- Diogo Soares Domingos
- Miguel Júnior Ferreira
- Maria Catarina Cruz Figueira
- Irene Gil Alves Rebelo e Silva
BODY OF NON-TEACHING STAFF AND RESEARCHERS
- Hugo Daniel Alves Martins de Carvalho
- André Reis Pereira Silva
- Vítor Manuel Pinheiro Pereira
- José Rui de Encarnação Palma Felizardo
- Bruno Joaquim Carvalho Mineiro
- Laura Maria Lourenço Brum da Cruz Martin
- Rui Amandi de Sousa
- João Alberto Amoreira Casteleiro Alves
General Council Regiment
The Rector's mandate has the duration of four years, renewable only once, according to the Statutes.
Mário Lino Barata Raposo
The Management Board is appointed and chaired by the Rector, it is composed of two vice-rectors, the Administrator and the head of the financial, accounting and heritage areas:
- Presidente: Reitor - Prof. Doutor Mário Lino Barata Raposo
- Vice-Reitor - Professor Doutor José Carlos Páscoa Marques
- Vice-Reitora - Professora Doutora Helena Maria Baptista Alves
- Administradora - Doutora Ana Isabel de Jesus Martinho
- Chefe de Divisão Financeira - Mestre Pedro Miguel de Almeida Marques
The presidents or directors of organic units, those who are responsible for organic subunits and for the Institution services, representatives of students and non-teaching staff and non-researchers representatives may be summoned to participate, without the right to vote, in meetings of the Management Board.
- The Senate is chaired by the Rector and is constituted by the following:
- Vice Rectors;
- Presidents of the organic units;
- Social Action Services Administrator;
- President of the Academic Association of UBI;
- Representative of the non-teaching staff and non-researchers;
- A student for each Faculty.
The Rector may invite individualities to participate in the Senate meetings.
The Senate can work in plenary and organize themselves into sections, having already being created the following ones:
- Scientific section;
- Pedagogical section;
- Discipline section.
It is for the Senate to consider:
- Guidance outline in scientific and pedagogical plan;
- The creation, transformation or extinction of organic units and subunits;
- Tuition fees owed by students;
- The creation, suspension and extinction of courses;
- The maximum classification of new admissions and registrations to the different cycles of studies;
- The granting of titles or honours;
- The stipulation of school awards;
- Analysis of the disciplinary proceedings and disciplinary penalty proposals to apply to teachers, researchers, staff and students;
- Other matters that the Rector understands should be submitted to him.
The mode of operation, the frequency of the plenary and section meetings and the establishment of their competencies, without prejudice to the provisions of article 50 of the present Statutes, with regard to the Disciplinary Section, are object of regulation to be approved by the Rector.
Student Ombudsman's Office
The Student Ombudsman's main function is to ensure the promotion of the rights and the students’ legitimate interests. It is up to the student Ombudsman to analyse the complaints and claims which are presented to him, to look for solutions, through mediation and negotiation of the parties and through suitable recommendations to bodies and competent services.
The student Ombudsman exerts his activity in an independent and impartial way regarding the University bodies and departments.
The student Ombudsman is a new student department in the University, which is also aimed at developing students' awareness of the need for a quality service, efficient and respectful, as well as motivating students to participate in the improvement of services, in particular through their personal interest and critical skills.
Article No. 57 – Statutes
1 — The Student Ombudsman is an independent entity whose function is to defend and promote the rights and legitimate interests of students within the scope of the University.
2 — The Student Ombudsman is appointed by the General Council, for periods of two years, and can only serve two consecutive terms.
3 — The Ombudsman is responsible for evaluating students' presentations on pedagogical matters and related administrative matters and for making recommendations to the competent bodies of the University that he deems necessary and appropriate to prevent and repair any irregularities or injustices found and to improve procedures in these matters.
4 — The activity of the Student Ombudsman is carried out preferably in conjunction with the Pedagogical Councils of the Faculties, with the Students' Association and with the Social Action Services, under the terms set out in the Regulations to be approved by the General Council.