Profile of the programme
- To give a solid formation, specialized and updated in Bioengineering, preparing students to technical and scientific tasks in this area and related ones;
- Transmit autonomic capabilities to students, encouraging their critical spirit and creativity, making easier their integration in an employment context, both National and International;
- To offer a broad range of possibilities in terms of specialization, enabling the integration of students em different activity areas;
- Prepare human resources with inter-disciplinary advanced formation em various scientific areas, in order to be able to plan and develop with success any professional or research project in the Bioengineering or related areas
- Offer a solid formation in terms of knowledge in Bioengineering areas, in order to enable students to go beyond their studies, either in 2nd cycle studies or other advanced type of studies.
Key learning outcomes
- Conception of new medical equipments, for monitoring diagnosis and therapeutics
- Specification and maintaining of biomedical equipments
- Specification of equipments for specific applications in the medical procedures area
- Development of software to process and analyze data in clinical environments
- Analysis of new medical procedures that result of scientific advances in the technological and medical areas
- Participation in medical procedures and in the scientific research, together with professionals of other scientific areas
- Conception and implementation of of supporting live devices, for helping people with disabilities
- Analysis and development of artificial organs and prothesis
- Diagnosis and interpretation of bioelectric signals, by using signal processing techniques
- Ability to process and analysis of clinical data in computational systems
- Development of simulation systems, for biologic and physiologic systems purposes
- Scientific research in technologic areas related to health sciences.
Occupational profiles of graduates
- Industry (pharmaceutical and medical eq.), Hospitals, Universities and Services
- Design of systems and products (eg artificial limbs and organs)
- Design of machines for medical diagnosis
- Installation, maintenance and technical support for biomedical equipment
- Consulting (safety, efficiency and audit of biomedical equipment)
- Training health professionals in the proper use of equipment
- Interdisciplinary research on the engineering of biological systems
- Technological Entrepreneurship.
Students have available the following infrastructures
- Central library (with 200 computer work places, open from 9 to 23 hours)
- Informatics center
- 2 different rooms with30 PCs
- Logics/Digital systems room
- Room for the development of research projects.
- Lab. for multimedia supported classes
- Chemistry / Phycics labs.
- Networks and telecommunications
- Access to digital libraries (IEEE Explore, Springer, Elsevier)
- Internet access (email, remote sessions, file transfer)