This course unit gives to the students an overview of the fundamental unit of life: the cell
(structure, function of the different cellular compartments, cell activation pathways, cell cycle,
cell renewal and apoptosis).
At the end of this course unit students must be able to:
- Be aware that cells are the morphological and functional units of living beings.
- Describe the main cellular signaling pathways.
- Know the mechanisms through wich cells regulate their cell cycle.
- Know and apply the laboratory safety rules.
- Manipulate basic laboratory equipments.
- Read and understand scientific documents.
- Be creative and capable to adapt to new professional situations.
- Recognize their limitations and be aware of the importance of keeping their skills update,
paying special attention to self-learning based on scientific data available.
- Biologia celular e molecular, carlos azevedo, 4ª edição, lidel, edições técnicas, lisboa, 2005.
- Molecular cell biology, lodish et al., 6th edition, w. h. freeman and company, 2008.
- Cell and molecular biology, concepts and experiments, karp, g., 3rd edition, john wiley &
sons, inc., 2002.
- Alberts B., Bray D., Hopkin K. et al, “Fundamentos de Biologia Celular”. 3th Ed. Artmed, 2011.