You need to activate javascript for this site.
Menu Conteúdo Rodapé
  1. Home
  2. Courses
  3. Optometry and Vision Sciences
  4. Visual Optics

Visual Optics

Code 12504
Year 2
Semester S1
ECTS Credits 6
Workload PL(30H)/TP(30H)
Scientific area Optics
Entry requirements Basic knowledge of geometrical optics and anatomy of the eye.
Learning outcomes Fundamental knowledge of physical aspects of vision including visual system optics, imaging and refractive correction. Acquire knowledge about light measurement and the principles of psychophysical measurement.
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- describe the schematic models of the eye,
- evaluate retinal image quality,
- characterize entopic phenomena,
- measure light using principles of radiometry or photometry,
- use psychophysical methods for visual characterization.
Syllabus 1. Optical system of the eye
2. Retinal image quality
3. Radiation and eye
4. Entoptic phenomena
5. Principles of psychophysical measurement
Main Bibliography S. Schwartz. Geometrical and Visual Optics. 3rd Edition. McGraw-Hill Education. 2019.
S. Schwartz. Visual Perception: A Clinical Orientation. 5th Edition. McGraw-Hill Education. 2017.
Pablo Artal, Handbook of Visual Optics, Volume One: Fundamentals and Eye Optics., Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2017.
David Atchison, and George Smith, Optics of the Human Eye, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002.
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria The student will have to carry out 3 written tests that are worth 70% of the Curricular Unit classification, and will be evaluated in the practical component through works and/or reports, with the possibility of being carried out in groups, which are worth the remaining 30% of the classification.
Language Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.
Last updated on: 2024-01-17

The cookies used in this website do not collect personal information that helps to identify you. By continuing you agree to the cookie policy.