In this CU it is intended that the student acquires in-depth knowledge in the field of individual expression, understanding it as an integral part of historical, sociological, anthropological and artistic phenomena that developed over the 20th and 21st centuries, in order to understand its scope and complexity, as well as which identity nuances it currently assumes in contemporary society, particularly capitalist and consumerist. It aims to make the student understand the concepts of culture and fashion as transversal communicative phenomena in a global society, as well as as key elements for sustainable economic-environmental development. It aims to provide the student with the concepts and mediums that contemporary art assumes, in an interdisciplinary perspective, as well as explaining the deep relationship between art and individual imagination.
• Danto, Arthur C. (2002), Despues del fin del arte: El arte contemporaneo y el linde de la historia. Barcelona: Paidos.
• Eco, Umberto(coord.) (2009), História da beleza. Algés: Difel.
• Eco, Umberto (coord.), História do feio. Algés: Difel.
• Elkins, James (2004), On the strange place of religion in contemporary art. New York: Routledge.
• English, Bonnie (2007), A cultural history of fashion in the twentieth century: from the catwalk to the sidewalk. New York: Berg.
• Foster, H & Krauss, R. & Bois, Y-A. & Buchloh, B. (2007), Art since 1900: Modernism, Antimodernism, Postmodernism. New York: Thames & Hudson.
• Freedberg, David (1992), El Poder de las Imágenes: estudios sobre la Historia e la Teoria de la Respuesta. Madrid: Catedra.
• Holzwarth, H. W. (Ed.) (2013), Art Now! Köln: Taschen.
• Laver, James (1996), Costume and fashion: a concise history. London: Thames and Hudson.
• Ruhrberg, K., Schneckenburger, M., Fricke, C., & Honnef, K. (2005), Arte do século XX - Pintura, Escultur
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria
In this UC, a practical group work will be proposed, focusing on the creation of a video/animation (Cultural Sciences) and a clothing line (Autumn/Winter OR Spring/Summer) (Fashion Design), inspired by an object of contemporary art. The work will involve researching and writing of a descriptive memory, which will later be publicly presented in the classroom. An assessment test will be carried out.
The final grade will be calculated according to the following weighting:
• Attendance - 10%
• Group work - 50%
• Assessment Test - 40%