You need to activate javascript for this site.
Menu Conteúdo Rodapé
  1. Home
  2. Courses
  3. Biochemistry
  4. Chemical and Microbiology of Waters and Food

Chemical and Microbiology of Waters and Food

Code 8445
Year 1
Semester S1
ECTS Credits 6
Workload PL(30H)/T(30H)
Scientific area Biochemistry
Entry requirements Not applicable
Mode of delivery Classroom teaching
Learning outcomes It is intended that the student knows:
-Properties of water from microbiological and chemical point of view.
-The main food groups, the respective chemical compounds and methods of analysis and also the main sources of contamination.


At the end of the Curriculum Unit the student should be able to:
- Understand the chemical water properties, identify sources of pollution and apply methods of treatment;
- Use methods of microbiological analysis for water and food;
- Distinguish the major components of the various foods and discuss analytical methods suitable for analysis of food;
-Refer to international bodies responsible for food industry standards.
Syllabus Water quality and public health. Chemical contaminants. Microbiological quality of water. Water contamination. Treatment of water. Methods of chemical and microbiological analysis of water. Legislation. Food chemistry. Food and nutrition. Conservation of food. Food microbiology. Recommended standards and methods for different types of determinations. Quality control.

LABORATORY EXPERIMENTS:
-Determination of the turbidity of water and application of "jar test";
-Olive oil analysis: acidity and spectrophotometric test
-Microbiological analyses of water;
-Microbiological analyses of food.
Main Bibliography Main bibliography:
- B. Mendes e J.F. Santos Oliveira, “Qualidade da água para consumo humano”, Lidel, 2004
- C.N. Sawyer e P.L. McCarty, “Chemistry for environmental engineering”, 3rd ed., MacGraw-Hill, 1985
- Food Analysis, S. Suzanne Nielsen (Editor), 4th edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2010.
- Food Chemistry, H.-D. Belitz, W. Grosch, P. Schieberle, 4th edition, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2009.
- Food Microbiology, M. R. Adams, M. O. Moss, 2nd edition(2000), The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK.

Additional bibliography:
- P. O’Neill, “Environmental Chemistry”, 2nd ed., Chapman & Hall, 1993
- Food Safety and Food Quality, R. E. Rester, R. M. Harrison (editors), 2001, The Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK.
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria Classroom teaching taught in 3 modules. Final Classification = 1/3 Module 1 + 1/3 Module 2 + 1/3 Module 3 Being: Module 1 - Food Module 2 - Microbiology Module 3 - Water Each module will have a theoretical component with a test (80% of the final grade) and a practical component (20% of the final grade). The exam will correspond to 80% of the final grade with the remaining 20% ??being the grade of the practical component. The practical grade in each of the modules must be greater than or equal to 9.50 values ??for the frequency grant. All practical activities are mandatory. (Provisional) evaluation data: 1st test - October 19; 2nd test - November 23; 3rd test - January 11th.
Language Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.
Last updated on: 2020-10-10

The cookies used in this website do not collect personal information that helps to identify you. By continuing you agree to the cookie policy.