Profile of the programme
The course aims to:
- Ensure the deepening of the education and research in Communication Sciences obtained in the 2nd cycle of studies, with which it articulates
- Contribute to the development of research in communication sciences in Portugal
- Train highly qualified human resources with the ability to develop scientific research independently, to make decisions in situations of high complexity, and to integrate themselves in corporations by occupying highly differentiated positions
- Promote the internationalization of UBI research, notably through the exchange of its students and professors, and the participation in research and teaching projects with courses and universities in other countries
To pursue these objectives, the course is closely linked with the research topics and projects of the Online Communication Lab (LABCOM), an R & D unit recognized by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)
Key learning outcomes
At the end of the course, students should:
- Demonstrate an ability of systematic understanding in a scientific domain of the area of Communication Sciences, as well as research skills and methods associated with that scientific domain
- Demonstrate the ability to conceive, design, adapt and carry out significant research in compliance with requirements imposed by the standards of academic quality and integrity
- Have completed a significant body of original research work that has contributed to extending the frontiers of knowledge, some of which merits national or international dissemination in publications with refereeing
- Demonstrate the ability to critically analyze, evaluate and synthesize new and complex ideas
- Demonstrate ability to communicate with their peers, the academic community and society in general about their area of specialization
- Being able to, in a knowledge-based society, promote technological, social and cultural progress in both an academic and professional context
Occupational profiles of graduates
The PhD in Communication Sciences aims to ensure the qualification of cultural, business and professional agents in communication, providing a high quality advanced training which enables them to intervene, as researchers and communicators, in the public sphere, whatever their professional insertion: schools, business or public administration. More specifically, the course intends to provide advanced training of professionals for the following areas: teaching and research in higher education institutions (universities and polytechnics); activity in companies in the area of media (newspapers, TVs, Radios, Internet), namely at their consulting and developing services; technical consultants in the areas of Advertising and Public Relations; technical, specialized advisory services in communication for institutions and companies from the various fields of social life
- Online Communication Lab (LABCOM), an R & D unit recognized by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), with the possibility of participation in research projects.
- Central Library properly resourced in various areas of Communication Sciences, with opportunities to access the bibliography, periodic and non periodic, whether in print or in digital format.
- Laboratories of Communication, Cinema, Design and Computer Sciences appropriate to the making of experimental and project-oriented research.
- Structures for scientific publishing (Journals and Book Collections).