Profile of the programme
The course aims to provide a solid education and is structured around two main aspects of the Management of Healthcare Units. On one hand, it takes into account the specificities of the health sector and on the other hand, provides the necessary attention to matters related to an effective and efficient management of healthcare organizations. Thus, in this study cycle new methods of management and administration of health units are discussed and further developed, in order to promote the development of leadership skills necessary to enable a Management of Healthcare Units, Public or Private, which is effective and efficient, but also responsible and personalized
The objective of the study cycle is to specialize graduates in this field, providing them with knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for the management of healthcare units and for the development of scientific research.
Key learning outcomes
The course mainly aims at training current and future professionals in the management of healthcare institutions (HI) in accordance with the following objectives:
(i) To acquire relevant knowledge on the conceptual framework and methodology of the discipline of management;
(ii) To develop leadership skills in light of the principles of an effective and efficient management of HI;
(iii) To promote fundamental methodological skills for conducting research in the management of HI
At the end of the course, students should be able to:
• Describe the basic concepts underlying the various areas of management;
• Understand the major theoretical schools of thought in management;
• Apply knowledge and management procedures and in the context of HI;
• Evaluate the applicability of the theories of management in the context of HI;
• Develop communication skills;
• Deepen critical thinking and self-criticism;
• Develop research skills;
• Adapt the latest management tools and techniques to HI and respective environment;
• Develop skills for problem solving in new and complex situations.
Occupational profiles of graduates
- Direction and advice in hospitals;
- Direction and advice in IPSS (nursing homes, day care centers and other social entities);
- Management functions in various health care professions (medicine, nursing and other specialized technical functions);
- Management functions in Health Centres and Family Health Units;
- Management and driving clinics or other businesses in health
The 2nd Cycle/Master of Health Management Units is integrated in the Department of Management and Economics of the the Faculty of Social and Human Sciences of UBI. To the academic community the following structures and equipment are available:
- Library of Social and Human Sciences;
- Bibliographic databases online: ISI Web of Knowledge Platform (Wok); Online Knowledge Library (B-On), which has 3500 journals from 6 publishers full text; PROQUEST database (main database of scientific articles management data);
- NECE-UBI and CEFAGE-UBI (R&D centers funded by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology);
- Access point to the INE (National Statistics Institute) and European Documentation Centre;
- Computer Rooms with specific software (SPSS, EViews, Amos, Microfit) and updated hardware.
- Offices with Wireless Network and network points.
- Bar and dining services.