Didática das Ciências
This curricular unit aims to show students the current trends in Science Education. It also intends to teach and guide
students to develop educational didactic tools for Science Teachers and Science Teacher Educators.
At the end of this curricular unit, the student should be able to
- explain the role of Science Education in the development of teacher's skills;
- analyze critically the current trends in Science Education;
- analyze the Science-Technology-Society-Environment (ST SE) perspective in Science Education;
- demonstrate the importance and the limitations of experimental work;
- analyze critically Science curricula and textbooks;
- propose assessment methodologies;
- organize Teaching Plans under unifyi ng themes, articulating knowledge and skills with social realities;
- develop educational didactical tools;
- demonstrate communication skills.
This course aims to give the student a comprehensive view of the importance of Science Education in the Science
1 Nature of Science, Science Activities and Science Education
1.1 Science and historical, philosophical, psychological and sociological dimensions
1.2 The Teacher as a creator of learning environments
2 Organization of Science teaching/learning processes
2.1 Structure of scientific knowledge
2.2 Educational skills
2.3 Strategies for Science teaching/learning processes
2.4 Research in Education
3 Curricula in Science teaching/learning processes
3.1 Curricula guidelines and textbooks
3.2 Evolution of Science Education
3.3 Training of Science Education Teachers
1 Analysis and discussion of curricula, programs, textbooks and other texts
2 Research and information processing
3 Evaluation and construction of teachin g materials for deployment in school
4 Presentation of the proposed work
António Cachapuz, João P raia & Manuela Jorge (2002). Ciência, educação em ciência e ensino das ciências. Lisboa:
Ministério da Educação.
William Frederick McCom as [ed.] (2000). The nature of science in science education: rationales and strategies. London:
Ana Ma ria Morais & Isabel Pestana Neves (2000). Formar para o ensino das ciências – uma abordagem filosófica,
psicológica e sociológica. Lisboa: Departamento de Educação, FCUL (não publicado).
Jerry Wellington (2000). Teaching and learning secondary science: contemporary issues and practical approaches.
Other elements of study / monitoring:
- Research articles;
- Curricular projects and programs;
- Portuguese textbooks and curricula reforms;
- Educational software and online resources.
Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.