• Good laboratory and biosecurity practices
Module: Plant cells
• Fundamentals in plant cell, tissue and organ culture.
• Facilities, equipments, laboratory safety procedures. Main areas of application of cell cultures. Culture media.
• Biological mechanisms: hormones and plant growth regulators; determination and morphogenetic competence; Cell cycle; dedifferentiation / differentiation and organogenesis, anatomical and biochemical aspects.
• Micropropagation systems: axillary multiplication, adventitious and somatic embryogenesis. Semi-solid and liquid systems. Bioreactors.
• Cryopreservation systems and cell lines
Module: Animal cells
• In vitro versus animal experimentation.
• General characteristics of animal cell cultures.
• Cell immortalization techniques. Growth curves. Cell cryopreservation.
• Adherent cell cultures, in suspension, co-cultures and three-dimensional cultures. Cell culture media and distinct substrates.
• Stem cells cultures. Inducers and cell differentiation markers.
• Cell growth analysis and viability tests.
• Biotechnological applications of animal cell technology to basic and preclinical research.
Buchanan, B, Gruissem, W, Jones, RL (eds), 2000. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology of Plants. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Somerset, NY, USA.
Canhoto, J. 2010. Biotecnologia Vegetal: da Clonagem de Plantas à Transformação Genética. Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra, Coimbra.
Davey, MR; Anthony, P, 2010. Plant Cell Culture: Essential Methods. John Wiley & Sons, UK.
Davies, PJ (ed), 1987. Plant Hormones and Their Role in Plant Growth and Development. Martinus Nijhoff Pub, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
George, EF, Puttock, DJM and George, HJ, 1988. Plant Culture Media, Vol 1(567p), Vol 2. Exegetics Limited, England
Trigiano, RN, Gray, DJ, (eds) 2011. Plant Tissue Culture, Development and Biotechnology. CRC Press, Boca Ratoon, Florida, USA.
Culture of Animal Cells: A Manual of Basic Technique; Freshney 2005, Wiley-Liss.
ECACC Cell Book 2001– Fundamental Techniques in Cell culture. A laboratory handbook. Sigma Ed.
Castilho L, Moraes A, Augusto E, Butler M, Barnes & Noble (Pub). Animal Cell Technology: From Biopharmaceuticals to Gene Therapy;
Animal Cell Culture: A Practical Approach, Masters JRW, Oxford University Press, 2000.
Alberts, B, Johnsons A, Lewis, J et al. The Molecular Biology of the Cell. Garland Science, Taylor & Francis Group.
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria
1. Oral presentation of the syllabus by the tutors. The active participation and discussion of subjects/syllabus by the students is encouraged.
2. Realization of several experimental activities in research laboratories.
3. Analysis and critical discussion of scientific manuscripts appropriate to the theoretical contents and the experimental work done by the students, in order to integrate the acquired knowledge. Tutors guide the literature search, preparation and presentation of the respective papers.
- Theoretical component: 60%. The theoretical assessment consists of 2 written tests (1 from each module) with a minimum grade of 8 and a grade greater than or equal to 10.
- Practical component: 40%. The practical component will be evaluated by written tests (1 of each module) and, in the module of animal cell cultures, also by the presentation of 1 scientific article (20%).
Participation is required at all times of evaluation.