You need to activate javascript for this site.
Menu Conteúdo Rodapé
  1. Home
  2. Courses
  3. Biochemistry
  4. General Microbiology

General Microbiology

Code 12820
Year 2
Semester S2
ECTS Credits 6
Workload PL(30H)/T(30H)
Scientific area Biochemistry
Entry requirements Not applicable
Mode of delivery Face to face lectures
Work placements Not applicable
Learning outcomes This Course is intended that students learn the fundamentals of microbiology, including structure and biology of microorganisms, microbial diversity and ecology, control of microbial growth as well as the basic techniques used in microbiology.
At the end of this UC students should be able to:
-Recognize the importance of microbiology in the context of practical life, environment and health;
-Recognize and describe characteristics of different classes of microorganisms;
-Identify and describe the principles of nutrition and microbial genetics;
-Describe mechanisms of action of physical and chemical methods in the control of microbial growth;
-Perform laboratory procedures used in the study of microorganisms and follow the safety rules in microbiology;
-Work in groups and communicate to others knowledge in microbiology;
-Analyze and interpret experimental results with scientific rigor and critical thinking
2.CELLULAR MICROBIOLOGY - Microorganisms prokaryotes and eukaryotes: ultrastructure and cellular function.
3.MICROBIAL METABOLISM- nutritional requirements. Energetic and biosynthetic metabolism.
4.GROWTH AND CONTROL - Growth kinetics and cell death. Batch and continuous culture. Control of growth by physical and chemical methods. Chemotherapeutic agents.
5.MICROBIAL GENETICS – bacterial Genome. Plasmids. Mutagenicity tests. Processes of horizontal gene transfer. Mobile DNA elements
6.MICROBIAL DIVERSITY - classical and molecular taxonomy, evolution, phylogeny and classification. General caracteristics of Bacteria, fungi, parasites and viruses.
7.LABORATORY CLASSES - Safety in the microbiology lab. Preparation and use of culture media. Isolation and culture of viable bacteria count in plate. Techniques for staining microorganisms. Identification of microorganisms. Antimicrobial susceptibility testing.
Main Bibliography - Willey, J., Sherwood, L.M.; Woolverton, C.J. (2019). Prescott’s Microbiology, 11th Edition, McGraw-Hill Higher Education, New York, NY.
- Canas Ferreira, W.F., Sousa J. C., Lima, N. (2010) Microbiologia. Lidel, Edições técnicas
- Domingues, F., Ferreira, S. Manual Prático de Microbiologia Geral, Universidade da Beira Interior, Covilhã, 2012
- Madigan, M. T., Martinko, J.M., Parker, J. (2018). Brock Biology of Microorganisms, Prentice Hall Editions, 15th edition
- Cappucino J. G., Sherman, N. ( 2008 ) Microbiology- a laboratory Manual, 8a ed., Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria The teaching of this UC will be centered on the student, in which his active participation will promote the acquisition of knowledge as well as the reasoning and teamwork skills. The applied pedagogical methodology is based on teaching for educational purposes and problem-based learning. Based on the materials made available by the teacher, intra-group self-learning time zones are delimited with content elaboration and sharing in the classroom. The experimental work will be carried out to apply the acquired knowledge, both in the execution of techniques, as well as in the analysis and interpretation of results and problem solving. Assessment:
Avaliação definida para a Unidade Curricular de Microbiologia Geral e critérios para a concessão de frequência:
Final grade (NF): Theoretical grade (NT) (60%) + Practical grade (NP) (40%).
Minimum Frequency Rating: 9.5 in the NP. UC approval: min 9.5 on NT and NP . The final exam corresponds to 60% of the NF (NT), the remaining 40% to NP.
Language Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.
Last updated on: 2024-03-31

The cookies used in this website do not collect personal information that helps to identify you. By continuing you agree to the cookie policy.