You need to activate javascript for this site.
Menu Conteúdo Rodapé
  1. Home
  2. Courses
  3. Philosophy
  4. Seminar on Ethics and Phenomenology I

Seminar on Ethics and Phenomenology I

Code 13031
Year 1
Semester S2
ECTS Credits 15
Workload OT(5H)/S(40H)
Scientific area Philosophy
Entry requirements There are none.
Mode of delivery face-to-face.
Work placements none.
Learning outcomes At the end of this Seminar, students should be able to:
1. To discuss, explain and justify the genesis of the problems, notions and fundamental implications of Phenomenology in their specific historical and thematic contexts in the light of consecrated texts and fundamental authors;
2. To deepen and cross thematic and plural perspectives regarding phenomenological reflection and its in fieri project with a view to the structured and thought-out possibility of transition to a practical philosophy;
3. Write a paper where a global understanding of problems and the ability to apply that knowledge in making methodological and theoretical decisions within a specific topic is demonstrated.
Syllabus Module I (Teacher: António Fidalgo)
1. Based on F. Nietzsche, in particular from The Geneology of Morals, Scheler analyzes, in a phenomenological way, the foundation of morals;
2. Phenomenological description and eidetic intuition;
3. Modernity and the death of God in Nietzsche;
4. Formalism in ethics and material ethics of values;
5. Axiology and ethics.
Module II (Teacher: Urbano Sidoncha)
«Phenomenology in its self-understanding as Transcendental Philosophy: the Husserlian stage»
1. The idea of Phenomenology: from descriptive psychology to Transcendental Philosophy;
2. Background of Transcendental Philosophy: the Cartesian heritage of phenomenology and its “Kantian moment”;
3. Revisiting some central topics of Phenomenology:
a) The emergence of a new concept of subjectivity (transcendental constituent);
b) Phenomenological intentionality;
c) The phenomenological dimension of the modes of donation in the concept of “constitution”;
d) The phenomenological reduction.
Main Bibliography Basic bibliography:
SCHELER, M., “O Ressentimento na Construção da Moral” («Das Ressentiment im Aufbau der Moralen»), In: SCHELER, Max (20129. Reviravolta dos valores, Petrópolis, Vozes, Bragança Paulista, São Francisco p. 43-182.
HUSSERL, E., (1907 | 2008). A Ideia de Fenomenologia, Lisboa, Edições 70.
HUSSERL, E., (1962 | 2006). Europa: Crise e Renovação, Lisboa, Centro de Filosofia da Universidade de Lisboa.

Secondary bibliography:
MERLEAU-PONTY M., (1952). "Les Sciences de l’Homme et la Phénoménologie" in Parcours deux 1951-1961, Lagrasse: Éditions Verdier, 2000: 49-128.
SIDONCHA U., (2011). Do Empírico ao Transcendental – A Consciência e o Problema Mente/Corpo entre o Materialismo Reducionista e a Fenomenologia de Husserl, Lisboa, FCG/FCT.
HENRY, M., (2000). Incarnation. Une philosophie de la chair, Paris: Éditions du Seuil
Teaching Methodologies and Assessment Criteria The assessment will be based on a written individual research work on a topic inherent to the general scope of the Seminar, which will be presented publicly, on a date to be agreed in due course, and subsequently evaluated and classified by both teachers. The activity developed in the context of monitored reading sessions will claim, in the case of the 2nd Module, a specific weight of 10% in the weighting of the work developed by the students, with the remaining 90% falling to the written assessment element and its public presentation.
Language Portuguese. Tutorial support is available in English.
Last updated on: 2024-03-11

The cookies used in this website do not collect personal information that helps to identify you. By continuing you agree to the cookie policy.