Profile of the programme
The course pursues the following objectives, in what concerns scientific and professional qualification:
1. To debate the analytical dimensions of social intervention, of the answer to social needs and yet of innovative management of social organizations;
2. To endow agents (technicians, managers and decision makers) with the capacity to focus solutions for social problems based on a solid understanding of the social reality, in what concerns fragilities and potentialities, opportunities and threats;
3. To endow technicians and those in charge for public and nonprofit institutions with organizational abilities to recognize opportunities, mobilize resources, manage risks, calculate social impacts, adapting management instruments to social purposes;
4. To form professionals towards a “social entrepreneurs” profile;
5. To promote a critical approach towards the application of knowledge and theoretical concepts to new problems and contexts.
Key learning outcomes
On successful completion of this master degree, students should demonstrate a solid competency in the following domains:
1. Analyse and critically debate the well-established theories and concepts associated to the Social Entrepreneurship, Social work and Social Innovation fields of study;
2. Recognise specific paradigms and theories related to sub-domains of analysis;
3. Identify methodological instruments required to the development of theoretical knowledge and research in the Social Entrepreneurship and Social Innovation fields of study;
4. Debate particular issues and problems, demonstrating theoretical, methodological and empirical consistency in the invoked arguments;
5. Develop a judgement capacity about the effects of distinct programmatic options upon concrete reality
Practical / empirical outcomes
6. Demonstrate analytical and practical abilities in the field of project planning and implementation;
7. Apply learned competencies to new problems and contexts, in an academic, professional and multidisciplinary perspective;
8. Show competencies and autonomy in conducting investigation processes, towards the production of new knowledge or practical problems solving
9. Show analytical capacity, logical thinking and argumentative abilities in the discussion of social issues;
10. Prove proficiency in written and oral communication, as also in presentations and use of supporting technologies;
11. Use proper skills in the planning, design and execution of theoretical and empirical essays and in the development of autonomous learning activities;
12. Demonstrate innovation, advanced problem solving and mastery of methods and approaches in complex and specialized fields.
Occupational profiles of graduates
Positions at Postgraduate (MA) level in the public, private and nonprofit sectors within the flowing domains:
1. Heads and managers of Third Sector organizations, mainly linked to the social area;
2. City halls and decentralized State organisms technicians;
3. Private institutions of social solidarity and other Third Sector organisms’ technicians;
4. Technicians and those in charge of non-profitable organizations linked to sectors such as education, culture, development and local animation, among others;
5. Leaders and employees of structures linked to the social and/or solidarity economy;
6. Managers of corporate social responsibility.
Library: students have at their disposal the Central Library and the Library of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, and a European Documentation Centre.
Online Resources available: Databases; electronic magazines, namely of Oxford University Press,Elsevier,Taylor & Francis,Springer,ISI Proceedings,ABI/INFORM,PROQUEST, which can also be found in paper; links for several investigation areas;other electronic resources,such as newsletters and the bibliographic bulletin.
Computer Science Centres: the unit that hosts the course has a computer science laboratory, classrooms and other spaces equipped with terminals and PC’s with internal lam connection and connected to the web network. All the university poles have wireless network.
e-Conteúdos: UBI has a digital platform, e-Conteúdos, which is a tool that allows online interaction of teachers-students and students-students and where all the didactic materials to support CU’s, discussion forums and other activities are provided.